Appalachian Trail Journals 09-17-03

Journals From A 2003 Thru-Hike of the Appalachian Trail (by Loony)

Entry #145 – September 17, 2003

7:40 PM – Got a ride into Rangeley almost right away on Monday, so we were in town by 1:00. A nice couple picked us up & brought us all around the town to show us where everything was. By this time we had decided we’d stay somewhere. Ended up getting a good cheap rate at the Town & Lake Motel, right on Rangeley Lake. There were canoes & kayaks we could use, but we had too many chores to do, of course! The grocery store was about a mile away, so we put our laundry in up the street and then got groceries while we waited. It was another really nice day – too bad we weren’t able to enjoy the weather more, but we were in town so who cared? Had burgers for dinner at a restaurant in town and then ice cream & beer & pop at the room, of course!

The next morning we woke to rain – a lot of rain. We weren’t too excited about hiking over the rocky top of Saddleback Mtn (3 miles exposed – above treeline) in the rain. Makes for slippery rocks & broken ankles – or necks. So we gave in. Stayed another night. The rain did let up in the afternoon so we could have waited around in town & then walked a couple miles to the first shelter, but who cares. Had a good day relaxing and looking around.

Left early this morning & got a ride from some guy who told us after we were in the van he could only bring us part way, (not the whole 9 miles) because he was on duty & his radio would be out of range. So, he dropped us off down the road in the middle of nowhere. We weren’t sure how far we were from the trail & no one would pick us up on the highway, so we ended up walking the rest of the way. Luckily, it was only a mile or 2.

At the first shelter we found Loser, so we hiked with him today. Also ran into CC atop Saddleback Mtn, doing some more filming for his documentary. He had been planning on having a little thru-hiker party @ Baxter State park on the 30th. Hot dogs, filming, music, etc. By this time we figured we weren’t going to make the end by the 30th. But, he had a bunch of stuff come up so he’s doing it on the 3rd instead. So I really feel like it is final now. The 3rd was our original “planned” date to finish. We thought we’d finish earlier, but it just isn’t working. So the 3rd it is! We’ll still have to do 13 miles a day to make it, but it should work. Only 16 more days on the trail. Only 210 miles. Thank God. In case no one’s figured it out by now, ha, Ha, I’m ready to be done. I’m getting kind of nervous about going back home too, though. I don’t want to fall into the same old rut.